12 oz. bacon
1.5 qt. chicken broth
3/4 cups flour
1 cup Budweiser
1/4 cup butter
1.5 pounds shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 red pepper
1/2 green pepper
2 stalks celery
2 cups heavy cream (40%)
1/4 cup diced green onions
- Bring Chicken broth to a boil. While you are waiting for the chicken stock to boil you can make your roux (flour and butter to thicken). Melt the butter and add the flour until mixture is creamy. When the broth comes to a boil add the roux slowly, stirring briskly with a whip. If you don’t add the roux slowly or stir fast enough it may be lumpy. In this case you will have to strain it. Once your broth is thickened turn down the heat.
- Add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Dice vegetables into very fine pieces and add to soup.
- Dice bacon and cook until crispy. Add to soup.
- Slowly add cream and beer one at a time, stirring as you go. Be careful not to add your cream or beer while they are cold or they will cause your soup to curdle.
- Add diced green onion for garnish if you like. If your soup is not as thick as you want you can add more roux or thicken it with corn starch and water.
Jack L. Conway, Executive Chef
Mary E. Gould, Sous Chef